An Asphalt Distributor Operator is an hourly-rated skilled craft position that performs on construction projects any combination of the duties described more fully, below. An Asphalt Distributor Operator typically performs a wide variety of tasks, transferring from one task to another as the work flow dictates. An Asphalt Distributor Operator consists of operating an asphalt distributor by applying specialize emulsions and/or liquid AC to roadways.
- Understand and execute paving procedures while following instructions to meet the standards of the project
- Commercial Driver License (CDL) A or B with N-tanker & X-hazmat endorsement as well as an acceptable driving record
- Drives and operates distributor truck equipped with tank to spray asphalt emulsions and/or liquid AC on road surfaces
- Connects hose from storage tank to truck tank and moves lever to fill tank with asphalt liquids
- Regulate burner to heat liquid and start auxiliary pump
- Snap or screw on spray bars to attain required width of spray
- Turn valve to regulate flow of material at specified rate and adjust levers to adjust height of spray bar from road surface
- Monitor flow gages, tachometer and temperature gauge to insure uniform distribution
- Perform daily safety checks of fluid levels on oil, water, fuel and inspections for leaks and damage to machine before operation
- Responsible for daily maintenance of equipment to remain in proper and safe working order
- Responsible for notifying supervisor if equipment needs to be repaired
- Understand and execute different emulsions and/or liquid AC
- Shifts may vary according to project demands
- Perform incidental work items and duties included within other crafts
- General. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each Key Duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and Experience. This position typically is not an entry-level job, as it requires some previous experience as an Asphalt Distributor Operator.
- A high school diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred.
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Two (2) year or more of industry related experience is required for this position, with an emphasis on asphalt, roads, highways, and bridges.
- Physical Demands. The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an Asphalt Distributor Operator to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Constant physical effort, including standing and sitting is required during a regular work shift of at least eight hours per day. Employee must be able to stand and sit for extended periods of time, and to stoop, bend, and crouch as required to perform Key Duties.
- Frequently walk and climb on uneven surfaces of heavy equipment.
- Ability to lift, on a frequent basis, at least 50 pounds and carry at least 30 pounds personally, and up to 150 pounds with assistance.
- Manual dexterity to operate hand tools.
- Maintain constant alertness to the multiple concurrent activities of the road construction site, including the activities of other employees and contractors, the operation of stationary equipment, and the movement of mobile equipment.
- The Operator must be able to climb on and off heavy mobile equipment safely.
- Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that an Asphalt Distributor Operator encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Work environment periodically exposes the employees to high levels of noise, and dust that is typically associated with road construction.
- Employee regularly works near heavy equipment and moving machinery.
- Work may involve a variety of substances commonly found on road construction sites such as oil, grease, gasoline, diesel fuel and asphalt liquids at hot temperatures.
- Must be able to work flexible schedule which includes days and nights.
We promote a Drug-Free Workplace.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability are encouraged to apply.