Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a GI Cell Therapy Technology Leader in our Gastroenterology Drug Discovery Unit in our San Diego, CA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission
- To refine and further develop the GI operational plans for cell therapy approaches to the treatment of gastrointestinal, liver disorders and enteropathies
- To lead the progress of these Cell Therapy programs from early phase proof of concept, through to portfolio entry all the way to IND guiding the evolution of scientific-grade protocols to GMP implementation as well as overseeing the generation of non-clinical (proof of concept, DMPK, Safety, Tox and Biodistribution) data fit for the requirements of Cell and Gene Therapies Regulations.
- Ensure alignment of the GI DDU Cell Therapy activities and programs with overall GI therapeutic area strategy to "return life to living" for patients with GI and liver disease
- Maximise patient value from Takeda's MSC cell platform by supporting Alofisel and future indications and to develop programs in neuronal cell therapeutics for GI disorders and opportunities in auto-immunity?
- As a member of the GI DDU leadership team contribute to the building of an effective Cell Therapy portfolio & contribute to meeting DDU KPIs.
- To be a partner with the Scientific Directors of each Program and the Portfolio Leads to lead the evolutions from cell therapy lead asset to candidate.
- To be a partner with Pharma Sci. Cell Therapies to ensure seamless GMP tech transfer ready for IND.
- Build the GI cell therapy area via recruitment of TCAL & TBOS teams and work with portfolio & strategy team to identify new partnerships
- This role will be a pivotal role for the future GI portfolio future and will require significant collaboration and partnership with existing groups within Takeda and via a rapidly evolving network of industry partners and academic alliances.
- In partnership with team members, build a long term tactical operational plan to realise the cell therapy vision set out by the GI Cell & Gene Therapy team
- Working in close collaboration with the Cell Therapy Engine in Pharm Sci to build a robust & scalable approach to realising GI Cell Therapies
- Build and manage a network of external providers to realise the cell therapy programs and support the management of external academic alliances in an efficient and well-controlled manner, working hand in glove with GI DDU researchers and CEI colleagues.
- Lead an internal laboratory research group responsible for the production and characterization of cell products at research scale
- Develop and maintain excellent cross-functional relationships within Takeda to capture early breakthroughs and iterations discovered in other groups and maximise leverage in other enabling teams
- Coordinate cross-functional informal teams to evolve thinking rapidly on how to solve challenges with differing cell types and how to scale capability in a robust quality conscious manner.
- Accountable for finding the right external collaborators to meet the operational challenges of the envisioned GI cell therapy strategy, and forecast budget and future resource needs in this area with the researchers.
- Support business development activities focussed on further expansion and enhancement of the GI Cell Therapy area by seeking, driving evaluation, and assisting with transactions for external partnerships and portfolio additions.
- Support cell therapy research programs at all Governance stage gates and be accountable for bringing clear solutions to the practical challenges of realising the potential therapy.
- In collaboration with GI portfolio leaders and project managers, build a long term roadmap for each GI DDU program to meet its operational challenges both pre-clinical and post-IND.
- Responsible for the development, delivery, and oversight of enabling technology partners and their contracting agreements. Work closely with Legal, Business Development, IP, Strategic Outsourcing, other internal stakeholders as well as vendors to resolve any issues.
- Build a long terms manufacturing capacity outline of needs based on GI pipeline of the future with Cell Therapy engine and Takeda Supply Chain GMSO, so that earliest investments are considered and understood by Senior Stakeholders in Takeda.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- 10+ years experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry with proven experience of cell therapy of >5 years taking products from bench to bedside.
- PhD in Biology with a preference for immunology and cell biology and relevant post-doctoral experience.
- The person in this role must be proactive, resourceful, self-motivated and should have excellent attention to detail and following process.
- Has experience working through matrix team models and demonstrated ability to act independently through complex cross-functional matrices and international sites.
- Has superb communication & persuasion skills with experience managing complex scientific partnerships with multiple international contributors
- Excellent general problem solving and project management skills and a proven ability to resolve long term operational issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required
- Strong collaborator
- 35% (in and outside US) expected to reach partnership network
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans